Applications - Bakery
Salt is an essential ingredient in all bread products and is the principal source of the relatively high sodium content of these products. Bread contributes as much as 30% of the sodium intake derived from processed foods in a typical American diet.
In white pan bread a level of 2.1% salt (flour basis) has been found to be optimal for flavour development. Highly flavoured and sour varieties require higher levels for optimum flavour enhancement.
Replacement of NaCl by SOLO® low sodium sea salt can significantly reduce the sodium level whilst preserving consumer acceptance.
Salt function in bread
- "Rounds-out" or enhances other flavours
- Controlling the rate of fermentation of yeast-leavened products
- Controls the rate of undesirable micro-organisms and the development of undesirable “wild” types of yeast which would lead to uncontrolled fermentation rates and variable products.
- Salt has a strengthening effect on the gluten in bread dough which helps ensure good dough handling properties and it reduces the dough water absorption rate as well.
Bread, buns, rolls
SOLO® can be added as a direct replacement for salt with minor process modifications in the level of yeast, yeast food or sugar.
In lean white doughs, some sensitive people may detect a bitter taste originating mostly from the potassium. This is, however, in most cases not a detectable problem when the bread is not eaten plain. The problem can be avoided by reducing the substitution ratio below 1:1.
Replacement of NaCl with SOLO® results in no significant differences in:
- loaf volume and symmetry
- grain or texture
- whether form or free
Sodium Chloride in solution extends dough mixing time in batch dough systems. To avoid excessive mixing time the more rapidly dissolving property of SOLO® means it can be added towards the end of the mixing process which will slightly shorten mixing and or dough development time.
Further adjustments to the dough:
- use 5-10% less yeast with possible reduction in sugar
- about 10% shorter proofing time - resulting in increased efficiency